A few months ago I was speaking with a friend online about age ranges. He felt that now he was getting a little older (40s) he was going to have a hard time finding guys to play with because most want younger guys.
I disagreed and said that the amount of people that only look for younger guys is rather small, which he didn’t believe at all. So I set out to prove him wrong.
Now, perception is a very tricky thing. It is very easy for someone to believe in fact that which we perceive, but sometimes we can only see what we want. If we believe that most guys are looking only for younger guys, then each time we see an example it only reinforces the notion but we don’t take into account the complete picture.
So I set out to do a little experiment. This is not scientific by any means. I chose to review profile from a single source: Recon. And I didn’t look outside of the US as I didn’t want to choose only profile that I could read (only can read English). Finally, only those people who were online were looked at, not necessarily those that may be offline, though the samples were taken over the course of months to help mitigate this.
However, at the same time the same sets were taken from around North America, looking at numerous states and population centers. I had several volunteers assist with collecting data and gathered profile data on several hundred profiles. We collected the location, age of the person in the profile, their status as a top or bottom, and if they listed in their profile an age range they were seeking.
Here are the results:
- There was no significant difference of this percentage between any region, state or urban versus rural locations
- Of all profiles reviewed, only 15% of them had any specified age range that the person was looking for.
- Of that 15%, only 4% of all the profiles indicated a preference for guys only younger than themselves.
- Of that 15%, only 6% of all the profiles indicated a preference for guys near their age or younger
- The remaining 5% of the 15% specified an age range that was range both below and above their own age equally (e.g., a 35yo man indicating he is seeking anyone from 25 to 45, or similar ranges).
- Of those that do specify an age range, 89% were Tops/Doms. 6% were switches. 5% bottoms/subs.
- 85% of all profile had no mention of a specified age range they were seeking at all.
- Of those that specified an age range, 56% were in their 30’s. The remaining were evenly split between those in their 20’s, 40’s, 50’s. Those in their 60’s were the least likely to specify any age range, but not by a significant amount.
While there are those out there that do seek out people within a specific age range, most aren’t specifically stating it. There is a possibility that there is some number of individuals that may be harboring such criteria but not stating it in the profile, but even if that would be the case it would have to be a rather large number of people that would be doing so to significantly alter these findings, which may be unlikely. It is far more likely that most players in the kink world do not have any significant factor for age when seeking out someone online. While not a scientific study in its entirety, we can assume that even with a margin of error factored it is most likely that the statement of “most guys want younger guys” is likely not true.
As someone that regularly plays with guys in age ranges from their low 20’s all the way to someone in their high 50’s, I find the results to be quite satisfying!
And finally, my thought about those that do specify an age range.
If someone is in their 40’s or 50’s and only wants to tie up guys in their 20’s, as this study suggests there are some (though relatively few) out there, I have to say this.
It is a little creepy, and you are swimming in a very small boat.
If that is the only way you can get off, you can only feel dominant with someone that is very much younger than yourself, that is your choice. But it is also the choice of the rest of us, those that don’t have such preferences, to find fault with such a choice. You are not only missing out on a vast population of great kinksters to play with, you are indicating, likely unintentionally, a lack of your own maturity by needing to dominate only those that are in the least likely potion to challenge your dominance.
I have chosen, quite purposefully, to play with those that do challenge me, either as a sub or a Dom. Those that don’t aren’t likely to be interesting enough for a good play session.
In my own opinion, of course.